- Comply with all environmental legislation, regulations, permitting and other requirements relevant to our business activities.
- Make every practicable effort to reduce negative impacts on the environment and enhance the positive aspects of its operations, products and services on the natural and social environment through effective planning and management.
- Establish systems to prevent pollution and nuisance to local communities, encourage recycling and waste reduction, and reduce the use of energy.
- Manage our corporate properties so that the natural environment is protected and enhanced, where practicable, throughout our current operations and a primary focus in our site restoration plans.
- Listen to and respond to the needs of local communities and other key stakeholders.
- Promote the use of more sustainable construction methods by providing sustainable building products and materials.
- Raise environmental awareness through the training and development of our employees, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Review our plans and performance with our stakeholders to establish objectives and targets and regularly measure and communicate the performance achieved.
- Communicate this policy to everyone working for and on behalf of the company.
Through the implementation of this policy we will continue to develop and employ sustainable best practices that integrate our economic and ecological goals while acting as good neighbors and corporate citizens.
Our South American business partner, Votorantim Cimentos, is committed to a global leadership role in the sustainable development of its business operations that is setting the standard for all its companies.
For more information on concrete and the environment, Prairie Material recommends these organizations' links:
U.S. Green Building Council
Green Building Institute
Portland Cement Association LEED Initiative
National Ready-Mix Concrete Association Green Concrete Initiative
National Ready-Mixed Concrete Association – Green Roof
National Ready-Mixed Concrete Association – Pervious
Concrete Thinker.com Concrete Sustainable Development Initiative
Concrete Joint Sustainability Initiative
American Concrete Institute
The Concrete Centre
Think Harder by Portland Cement Association
Tilt-Up Concrete Association - Sustainability